• Iyer A, Burge J (2018). Depth variation and stereo processing tasks in natural scenes.
• Kim S, Burge J (2018). The lawful imprecision of human surface tilt estimation in natural scenes.
• Jaini P, Burge J (2017). Linking normative models of natural tasks with descriptive models of neural response.
• Burge J, Jaini P (2017). Accuracy Maximization Analysis for sensory-perceptual tasks: Computational
improvements, filter robustness, and coding advantages for scaled additive noise. PLoS Computational
• Burge J (2017). Accurate image-based estimates of focus error in the human eye and in a Smartphone
camera. Information Display, 33(1): 18-23 [ pdf ]
• Burge J, Mccann BC, Geisler WS (2016). Estimating 3D tilt from local image cues in natural scenes. Journal
• Green JD, Burge J, Stansberry JA, Meinke B (2016). Cameras a Million Miles Apart: Stereoscopic Imaging
• Burge J, Geisler WS (2015). Optimal speed estimation in natural image movies predicts human performance.
• Sebastian S*, Burge J*, Geisler WS (2015). Defocus discrimination in natural images with natural optics.
• Bonnen K, Burge J, Yates J, Pillow JW, Cormack LK (2015). Continuous psychophysics: Target-tracking to
• Burge J, Geisler WS (2014). Optimal disparity estimation in natural stereo-images. Journal of Vision, 14:2(1),
• Geisler WS, Burge J, D'Antona AD, Michel MM (2014). Characterizing the effects of stimulus and neural
variability on perceptual performance. In Gazzinga & Mangun (Eds.) The Cognitive Neurosciences, 5th Edition.
363-374. Cambridge: MIT Press [ pdf ]
• Burge J & Geisler WS (2014). Optimal focus error estimation performance in individual images of a popular
smart phone. Technical Document, University of Texas at Austin. [ pdf ]
• Scholl B, Burge J, Priebe NJ (2013). Binocular integration and disparity selectivity in mouse primary visual
cortex. Journal of Neurophysiology, 109: 3013-3024 [ pdf ]
• Burge J & Geisler WS (2012). Optimal defocus estimates from individual images for autofocusing a digital
camera. Proceedings of the SPIE, 8299, 82990: E1-E12, January: Burlingame, CA [ pdf ] (Best Paper Award!)
• Burge J & Geisler WS (2011). Optimal defocus estimation in individual natural images. Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences, 108 (40): 16849-16854 [ pdf ]
• Banks MS, Burge J, & Held R (2011). The statistical relationship between depth, visual cues, and human
perception. In: Sensory Cue Integration. (Ed. Landy M) Oxford University Press
• Burge J, Geisler WS (2011). Optimal image-based defocus estimates from individual natural images.
Proceedings of the Optical Society of America: Imaging Systems & Applications, July: Toronto, Canada [ pdf ]
• Cooper EA, Burge J, Banks MS (2011). The vertical horopter is not adaptable but it may be adaptive. Journal
of Vision, 11(3) 20: 1-19. [ pdf ]
• Burge J, Fowlkes CC, Banks MS (2010). Natural scene statistics predict how the figure-ground cue of
• Burge J, Girshick AR, Banks MS (2010). Visual-haptic adaptation is determined by relative reliability. Journal
of Neuroscience, 30(22): 7714-7721. [ pdf ]
• Burge J, Ernst MO, Banks MS (2008). The statistical determinants of adaptation rate in human reaching. Journal
of Vision, 8(4) 20: 1-19. [ pdf ]
• Burge J, Peterson MA, & Palmer SE (2005). Ordinal configural cues combine with metric disparity in depth
perception. Journal of Vision, 5(6), 534-542. [ pdf ]
• Gepshtein S., Burge J, Ernst MO, & Banks MS (2005). The combination of vision and touch depends on spatial
proximity. Journal of Vision, 5(11), 1013-1023. [ pdf ]
• Cowings PS, Toscano WB, Keller MA, Burge J (2001). Autogenic-feedback training exercise improves pilot
performance: enhanced functioning under search and rescue flying conditions. The International Journal of
Aviation Psychology. 11(3), 305-315.
• Kim S, Burge J (submitted). The lawful imprecision of human tilt estimation in natural scenes.
• Chin B & Burge J (in prep.) External vs internal determinants of human speed discrimination performance
• Geisler WS, Burge J (submitted) Local image matching to estimate global surface orientation and distance.
• Mccann BC, Burge J, Geisler WS (in prep.) Half-occlusion free, co-registered photographic and range stereo-
images of natural scenes.